I've been thinking lately about how I raised Madison without the portable DVD player. It seems that Owen and I are always pulling it out to "manage" James when we need him to sit still and be quiet in public.
Gone are the days of laughing at parents who let their kids watch TV or for that matter, put them on a leash. Three is the magic number of kids that a couple has to produce to begin introducing ANYTHING into their households to keep one or two children quiet so you can care for the third.
Well, maybe not ANYTHING, but certainly the portable DVD player! This miraculous little machine lets us take the Teletubbies with us wherever we go. Last week we were at dinner with a group of 8 and as soon as the food came out we set up the DVD and James tuned out while the rest of us enjoyed our meal. Today James and I went to the doctor's office and while the Dr. and I were discussing his allergies (or lack there of---another story) he was fussing, so I pulled out the DVD player, put the "Bubbies" (Teletubbies)in and he quieted right down.
I'm not saying I'm an advocate of throwing your kids in front of the TV, but I am saying that we'll be using this handy dandy portable device for the foreseeable future.
And yes, He's watching the "Bubbies" while I write this post! Check them out for yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment