Monday, July 14, 2008

Parmesean Oven Fries

I tried a new recipe last night that I thought I'd share.

We have hot dogs and hamburgers quite often in the summer and Owen likes frozen fries with them. Frozen fries are ok, but not my favorite. I tried sweet potato fries at a restaurant the other night and loved them. They were delicious. A little more creamy or buttery than a regular russet potato.

Yesterday I finally decided to try to make home fries. I found a recipe for Parmesean Oven Fries in my Cuisine at Home magazine that looked yummy. They were described as crispy without being deep fried and coated with a crispy cheese crust. Sounded good to me.

I followed the recipe, but substituted sweet potatoes for russet potatoes. They were delicious. Smooth and creamy on the inside with a slightly spicy crisp crust on the outside. They were easy to prepare and are healthier than the deep fried french fries.

Here's the recipe:

Parmesean Oven Fries
Makes 4 servings

Combine
1/4 Cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
Salt to taste

Coat with and Roast:
3 russet potatoes, cut into 8 wedges each
3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 475 degrees with a baking sheet inside

Combine parmesan, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt in a small bowl.

Coat potato wedges with 1T oil in a large bowl, then add parmesan mixture, tossing to coat. Remove baking sheet from the oven and coat with remaining oil. Place wedges on the pan and roast until golden, 15 minutes per side. Return fries to bowl and toss with parsley.

Enjoy!

Notes:
1. Be sure to cut the potatoes in large wedges. If they are too small the high oven temperature will burn them.
2. Due to the high oven temperature they may cook very quickly, so keep a close eye on them the first few times you prepare. Some temperature adjustment may be necessary.

2 comments:

Deanne said...

I'm going to have to ask Ryan if he likes sweet potatoes, if so then I'll have to try this recipe.

**funny, we've been married for, what, 12 years now and I don't remember if he likes sweet potatoes??! What's up with that? :)

Anonymous said...

sounds very tasty- if only our 40 acres of potatoes were ready to dig