Friday, June 27, 2008

An Hour Alone

This afternoon I had to drop Buddy off at the groomers for a bath. He had gotten into something stinky and our at-home baths haven't been able to remove the odor.

Anyhow, Owen was home with the boys and I asked if he'd mind if I spent a little time out before coming home. He agreed, so off Buddy and I went.

I dropped Buddy at the grooming salon and walked back out to the car. Once inside I felt overjoyed. I was almost giddy--kind of giggling to myself. I immediately phoned Owen to share this wonderful feeling I was experienceing. We decided it had been a very long time since I had been without at least one of the children and had no plans for my time out of the house. I didn't know what to do with myself. Should I call my step-mom and her sisters to see if they needed help moving or should I go to Home Goods and shop---both sounded like fun, but sorry Sue, Home Goods won out.

As I was driving to the store I passed a nail shop that my sister-in-law had taken Maddie and I to several months back. I heard it calling to me, "Debbie, Debbie, come on in and we paint you toes and rub you feet. We make you feel real good." I was sold. My minivan and I flipped a u-e and walked right in.

Thankfully they had time for a pedicure. The girl even encouraged me to close my eyes and take a nap, promising to wake me up when she was finished. I heeded her advice and closed my eyes, thoroughly enjoying being pampered. Sadly, it all came to an end too quickly and it was time to head back to the house.

As I drove up all three of my precious men were sitting on the lawn playing. It warmed my heart to see them and I remembered why it had been so long since I had spent time alone. An hour away was just right--I don't like to be away from my guys for too long!

Check out my favorite Nail Salon Comedy bit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

a)what a well written story
b)as much as we love our family we need some time for ourselves, just to keep our sanity

Jim said...

Fancy post!! Keep up the good posts!

Deanne said...

Alone time? What's that?? :)

Glad you had the chance to get out and alone. That's awesome!

Your (little bit envious) friend,
Deanne