Sunday, June 15, 2008

Our Father's Day

Today was Father's Day. It was a very special one for Owen because it was the first year that Maddie has been with us to celebrate. At our old school district Father's Day always fell on Maddie's first weekend with her dad for summer vacation. Our new school gets out a week later, so she was still home---Yea! It was also very special because we have our new little addition, Matthew, this year.

We began our morning with Owen's choice of pancakes for breakfast. Maddie slept in a little, she's starting to have some of the pre-teen characteristics like staying up late and sleeping in late. So when she woke up we gave Owen his gifts. The boys gave him a 3D Mag flashlight that he's been wanting, I got him a meat thermometer to help him become a "master" bbq'r, and Maddie got him wireless speakers for out in the backyard. We spend a lot of time out there and a little music will really set the mood.

In the afternoon we had my Dad, John and Erin over for swimming and dinner. We enjoyed the pool and John and Erin brought over a great "pool warming" gift. It's a giant floating basketball hoop. We had fun playing with it today. I made a yummy curry shrimp for an appetizer and for dinner we had steak, baked potato, beans and a chinese chicken salad. For dessert we enjoyed a claw-foo-tea (phonetic spelling---it's a french word that I can't spell) and some mini bundt cakes in a variety of flavors.

By the end of the day I must have been getting really tired. Erin and I were in the kitchen cleaning up and we hear Maddie calling from the outdoor table area that James has a very messy poopy diaper. It sounds like it's a serious problem, so Erin and I quickly finish what was in our hands and run outside. I see Maddie holding James up and out away from her body and as I look at him I can see poop running down his legs. I tell Maddie to run him down to our bedroom and I jog ahead to start up the bathtub. Erin and Maddie decided they had better take his pants and diaper off before brining him in the house. Boy did they have a surprise! Mommy had forgotten to put a diaper on him the last time she changed it! Am I losing it or what??

No comments: