Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Borders and Ballet

Today James, Matthew and I tried a new activity. We went to our local Borders bookstore for a toddler reading time. We entered the children's area and were greeted by about 50 parents and 50+ toddlers spread about on the floor. We squeezed in and found a spot. James was walking on his own and Matthew was in the Baby Bjourn carrier. As I sat down, Matthew almost tumbled right out of it. We got setttled in and the lady doing the reading was just about ready to start. She was a tall, blond, animated story teller and kept the kids fairly engaged. At least more so than I thought was possible in a room full of toddlers. She alternated sinigng songs and reading short books. She also used sign language as she sang, so the kids were entertained trying to do the hand movements. James tried to wander a little, but as she changed activities so quickly he would get interested in the new thing and come back to me. This was good, since I couldn't move much with Matthew attached to my stomach. All in all it was fun and I think I'll try it again.

Maddie had her ballet recital after school today. She has been taking a class at the Maranatha after school care program during this spring semester. It was a great opportunity because it was only Maddie and one other girl, her friend Savannah. The teacher is a former ballerina with the Sacramento Ballet Company, so the quality of teaching was excellent. Maddie and Savannah did a wonderful job performing a short dance from the Nutcracker Ballet. They were adorable.

Owen, the boys and I also tried a new walk today. We went up behind our house into the foothills and found a new shortcut to Lake Poway Park. It was a fairly steep walk and had beautiful views. We are so blessed to live so close to beautiful walking trails, a lovely lake and picturesque mountainsides. God is good!

No comments: