Thursday, June 12, 2008

Doctor Day

Today was doctor day for Maddie and James. Maddie is really afraid of needles and was scheduled for two shots. This year has been a big year for shots because she had her 11 year old vaccinations, one of which is a series of 3. Today was the last in the series of 3. I also had her tetnus shot updated which makes us good until she's 21. The first set of shots this year I had to buy her a fish if she got through them without complaining or any major drama. She did well and after shots we went to Petco and bought her a fish. The shots went so well that she named it after her nurse that gave them to her, Bernie. We had Bernie again today, so everything went smoothly once again, and this time I didn't have to buy a fish.

James had his 18 month check up and vaccinations. He's had a few issues going on. First he seems to be allergic to milk. We've tried whole milk, fat free milk and soy milk with no luck. Today the doctor recommended goats milk. Since it's a different species than cows it has different amino acids and that may make a difference. Our second question was about James' legs which are slightly bow legged. It is actually normal development and evidently the next thing to keep an eye on is knock knees.....there's always something. Thirdly, James got a boil on his belly. We're not sure why, but the next time he gets one we need to come in when it has a white head and have it tested to find out what kind of infection it is. Lastly, James is super grumpy, which we think is related to food allergies, milk (as stated above), strawberries, loquats and grapes so far. As per our last appointment I've been giving him 1 tsp of Chidren's Claritin daily and this seems to keep him a bit happier. The doctor asked if I was going to stop giving it to him as summer approaches----I laughed---he asked if I was using it as a mood contoller----yes! He said to keep it up and even increase it a bit if needed. It helps his body fight the histimins in the air and food which is most likely what is making him grumpy.

No comments: