Maddie and I spent a fun Saturday at Hermosa Beach visiting our friends, The Kennedy's, who stay there each Labor Day.
We hadn't seen Mark, Diana, Kaylee (8) and Claire (6) since we moved down to San Diego last August. Diana and I keep in touch via phone, but it's not the same as being together in person.
Maddie and I hit the road at 8am. We were so excited to arrive at the beach! Our GPS said it would take 2 hours, but we made it in 1hr and 40 minutes! We ran into Mark in the lobby and he took us out to the patio where Diana and the girls were having breakfast.
We said our hello's and headed off to the beach. All 6 of us went into the water and had fun body surfing, boogie boarding and playing in the waves. After an hour or so in the water we went back up to our chairs and visited awhile, The kids continued to have fun in the water.
Next we walked up to their hotel room, on the beach, and had some turkey sandwiches. After that we visited the street fair for a couple of hours. The girls also got to enjoy some yummy Lappert's Hawaii ice cream.
Around 3pm we headed back out to the beach. Mark and the girls went back into the water while Diana and I sat and visited.
It was Claire's birthday, so she got to pick out where we'd have dinner. She chose pasta. Around 7pm we all headed up the street to a wonderful little Italian restaurant and enjoyed lots of pasta in honor of Claire.
After dinner, around 9pm, Maddie and I sadly had to say goodbye and head home. We got in the car and within about 10 minutes Maddie was asleep in the front seat. She'd had a very busy and very fun day.
It was a great day and I really enjoyed being with Diana. Until I moved away I took for granted how nice it is to be around people who have known you and walked with you through most of your life. Diana and I are going on 23 years of friendship ---hard to believe! After a year of making small talk and repeating the same introductory stories to so many people, it was good to get into the old familiar routine of a lifelong friendship.
1 comment:
Those friendships are best! I'm so glad that you had such a great day with a great friend!
Post a Comment