Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Discipline 101

Today while James and I were playing out in the front yard we ran into our neighbor. She had recently attended a parenting class and as James was kicking her rocks into the street she decided to give me a lesson in parenting skills.

Her instructor had told her that when a child is misbehaving to ask, "Why did you do that?" Then ask, "What could you differently so this doesn't happen again?" Lastly you ask, "What will you do next time?"

So it was cute. He said, "I was kicking rocks into the street." "I did it because it's fun to kick rocks." and finally "I could build a platform over the rocks and I could put netting over the rocks." Pretty clever answers for a 3 year old.

Later, we were outside eating popsicles and I couldn't find where James had put his popsicle stick. I asked him and he told me that he threw it in the pool. We have been telling him for almost 2 years now not to throw ANYTHING in the pool. We've explained it could harm the pool sweep if it swallows up a toy or rock.

Well, I figured this would be a good time to try out my neighbor's new discipline method. Here's how it went...

Debbie "James, what did you just do wrong?"

James "I threw my popsicle stick into the pool."

Debbie "What could you do better next time so this doesn't happen again?"

James "I don't know."

Debbie "What will you do next time to make the pool better?"

James "Pray for it."

At least I'm doing something right!

2 comments:

Deanne said...

it's moments like those that make me laugh (or try to hide the laughter until later) but then smile, roll my eyes and give up. :)

Susan Malone said...

That is the most precious thing EVER!!!! I'm totally going to pass this on.