Saturday, December 6, 2008

Shatterproof Ornaments

Having toddlers around always keeps you on your toes about household dangers. Christmas decorating adds an additonal ammount of concern due to ornaments at the bottom of the tree.

Last year when James was crawling we used our regular decorations and put a safety gate up around the tree. This worked well.

This year with two little ones to watch, or at least attempt to watch, I thought it might be wise to buy inexpensive shatterproof ornaments in place of our regular ornaments. I found 24 packs of bulbs for $5 and purchased one pack each of red, gold and green.

As soon as we got home, James found his way into the box. I figured this was a great chance to see if they could pass the James Thomas shatterproof test.

He took it in his hands and rolled it around a bit, he examined it with his eyes because it reflected a rainbow of colors. Then he stuck it straight into his mouth and started biting it.

The test was a success! No shattering, just a little denting and paint scratched off from his teeth.

Of course now that my ornament shattering worries are gone, I'm wondering whether these ornaments manufactured in China are made with lead paint. If it's not one thing its another.

No comments: